Advantages of the Periareolar Technique
The texture and the dusky color of the areola outline ensures that the scar is perfectly concealed, sometimes to the extent that it’s unnoticeable. Because the point of incision is near the location of the implant, it’s easy for surgeons to control bleeding during the procedure and to be expressly definite in their placement of the implants. Other advantages with the procedure are the fact that the size of the areola can be shrunk and the idea that scarring and the incision only happen around the areola. This procedure is also ideal for handling intermediate chunks of surplus skin.
Disadvantages of the Technique
The unpredictability of this technique means that there is a possibility of excess skin or tissue overhang.
Another disadvantage is the likelihood of pleating effect. With this procedure, the risk of infection is higher and the possibility of obstacles when a woman wants to breastfeed.
- It is essential to stay away from aspirin or anything that has aspirin and some vitamins and herbal supplements that might enhance the likelihood of severe bleeding.
- Arrange to stay away from work for 1-2 days.
- You should not smoke or use any form of tobacco way before the surgery since nicotine prolongs the time it takes to heal. If you are a smoker, most doctors will tell you that it’s advisable to stop smoking 2 weeks prior to the breast reduction procedure.
- You should also shun lotions, creams and powders on the actual day of the surgery. It is advisable to dress in loose fitting attire.
- Make arrangements for a close family member or friend to take you home once the surgery has been performed and to remain with you on the first night after the operation.
- You will not be able to drive yourself and certain activities may be demanding after the procedure.
- For patients with hypertension exceeding140/190 mmHg, there is a need to control the hypertension so that it gets back to the normal dimensions before the procedure is performed.
Prior to the procedure, you need to visit your surgeon for consultation and deliberations about your objectives. You will then be placed under general aestheticia so that you are totally asleep when the procedure is done.
This procedure is generally regarded as an outpatient operation although there are patients that might have to stay overnight. The surgeon will undertake the dissection.
He will then extract fat, tissue, and any surplus skin from the lower part of the breast. Women who generally have fat tissue in their breasts might require a simple liposuction procedure in order to trim the breast to a smaller size. This is advantageous because there will be less scarring and, limited breast tissues trauma, and less likelihood of developing health problems.
The nipple will then be positioned relocated at a higher level on the breast.
It might or might not be necessary for the surgeon to remove the nipple from the breast so that he or she can implant it in the right position. The surgeon will then let the patient know if the nipple sensation will or will not be lost as a result of the surgery. He will then close the incisions. Drainage tube will be hooked up for about 2 days.
- Your breasts will then be swathed with bandage for seven days.
- Once you have removed the bandage, it is necessary that you put on a sport bra that will aid in supporting your breast for 1-4 weeks.
- You should not get engaged in difficult tasks or lift heavy objects for one month.
- Follow up the signs and the symptoms and the stitch can be taken off in one or two weeks.
- The incisions will also become invisible in a week or two.
- Strictly follow the doctor’s prescription.