Cheekbone Reduction in Thailand
Interplast Clinic provides a wide range of cosmetic surgical procedures including cheekbone reduction surgery by board-certified plastic surgeons with over 20 years of experience.
CHEEKBONE REDUCTION IN BANGKOK, THAILAND
WHAT IS CHEEKBONE REDUCTION?
The forehead defines the upper part of your face. In most societies, a well-defined forehead is associated with refinement, mental stability, intelligence and even wealth.
High, prominent cheekbones have been associated with beauty and facial symmetry through the ages. But if the cheekbones are excessively prominent, some people feel that it makes their upper facial area look too wide and out of proportion with the rest of the face.
Cheekbone reduction surgery is an effective solution to correct excessively prominent cheekbones by reducing their volume to achieve a slimmer, more elegant face. This procedure is also known as zygoma reduction surgery or facial contouring.
The surgeon will carry out a careful X-ray examination before the surgery in order to examine your bone structure and choose the most appropriate technique.
The surgeon will carry out a careful X-ray examination before the surgery in order to examine your bone structure and choose the most appropriate technique. You will also be asked to fast for at least eight hours before the surgery.
Cheekbone reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia, which means you will be asleep during the operation. The surgeon will make two small incisions: one inside the mouth and another one in the temporal area in order to access the cheekbone. The frontal and rear parts of the bone are fractured in order to weaken the cheekbone, and bones are pushed aside from the front and side in order to decrease the protrusion. The surgeon may also cut off a portion of the cheekbone with a saw.
The rest of the bone is rotated 3-dimensionally. The bone is then fixed in its new place using titanium plates and screws. Any fluid build-up is avoided by placing drains, which can be removed after a day. The incisions are then closed with the help of surgical sutures.
The surgery normally takes 2-3 hours to complete, and you will stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights afterward. Since incisions will be made inside the mouth or within the hairline, there is no visible scarring afterwards.
You will be asked to wear a compression garment for three days to help minimize swelling and help support your cheeks.
Before the Surgery
- Read the pre-surgery instructions to help prevent complications and improve outcomes for your surgery.
- Plan to take 7-10 days off work and your normal activities.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery.
- After surgery, you will need to stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights for monitoring purposes.
- It is normal to experience some swelling and bruising post-surgery; this will begin to ease gradually although it may take up to 3 months for the swelling to fully subside.
- A cold compress can help reduce swelling in the first 2-3 days.
- Your doctor may recommend wearing the compression garment continuously for the first 3-5 days.
- Strenuous exercise should be avoided for the first 4 weeks.
- The full results of the surgery will be noticeable after about 3 months.