Jaw Augmentation in Thailand
Interplast Clinic provides jaw augmentation surgery by board-certified plastic surgeons with over 20 years of experience.
WHAT IS JAW AUGMENTATION?
Jaw augmentation (mandibular augmentation) is a surgical procedure that aims to improve facial harmony by enhancing the jawline. The aim is to add more definition to an underdeveloped jawline to make it appear more angular and well-defined.
Typically, candidates for jaw augmentation surgery include men and women who desire an increase in lower facial width. You may be a good candidate for jaw augmentation if you:
- Have a naturally underdeveloped lower jaw
- are undergoing facial masculinization surgery
- have a jawline that lacks prominence after a facelift
You should also be in good general health and have reasonable expectations of what surgery can do for you.
Jaw augmentation is typically performed by inserting silicone implants that have been shaped to create a more defined jawline. Alternatively, a small amount of the patient’s own fat can be transferred to the face to improve the appearance of the jawline. This is also known as fat grafting.
Jaw augmentation surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. The implants are typically made from silicone, molded beforehand to fit around the jawline.
The surgery begins with an incision inside the mouth on either side of the lower lip. The pre-designed implants are then inserted through the incision. After fitting the implants, they are fixed in place with titanium screws. The technique is then repeated on the opposite side.
The surgeon will close the incisions with the help of sutures that will dissolve on their own. The entire procedure generally takes from 1 to 2 hours to complete.
Since the incisions will be hidden inside the mouth, no external scarring will be visible afterwards.
Before the Surgery
- Read the pre-surgery instructions They will help prevent complications and improve outcomes for your surgery.
- Plan to take 1 week off work and your normal activities.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
- You can shower and bathe normally one day after surgery.
- There will be some bruising and swelling post-surgery and your jaw may feel sore.
- Try to sleep on your back and keep your head elevated to minimize swelling.
- A low level of swelling may persist for several weeks or months.
- Eat a soft diet for the first few days to allow your jaw to heal.
- You may return to work 1 and your normal activities within a week.
- Avoid contact sports until you have fully healed.